weatherlea farm lovettsville va wedding
2018 First Dance Songs That Aren't Sung By Ed Sheeran or John Legend
Wedding days are full of traditions, some are old classics such as the exchanging of rings, the first kiss, toasts from your friends and family. Others might be ones that are passed down in just your family.
One of the most popular traditions couples choose to celebrate is the first dance. Typically the first dance of the night after the wedding party is announced, it's one of our favorite parts of the reception. Unless we photographed your elopement, most of the couples we've photographed in the Washington DC Metro area in the past 6 years has had a dance as part of their celebration.
While couples know they want to start their party with this special time together, they don't always know what song they want to dance to. Let's face it, the last few years, every wedding has been dominated by Ed Sheeran and his ballads that sound like he knew he was writing the most popular first dance song of the year. if you are like us, we don't want to do what everyone else is doing. It's 2018 and let's not give Ed another first dance song. I'd guess if you found this page you are looking for first dance songs that not only reflect who you are as a couple, but one that hasn't been overplayed on Spotify and Pandora too. I love making lists and spreadsheets, so let's get this party started!
If we had to pick a song out this year, here are a few that would make our list. Keep in mind that the song you pick might be slower or faster depending on whether you are having a choreographed dance or if you just want to hold each other, sway side to side, and be in the moment.
- All My Life by WILD is an upbeat ballad. If you want to add a few dips and spins, this is the perfect song. It goes from low key verses to a faster chorus that will have your guests clapping along.
- May I Have This Dance by Francis and the Lights is one of my current favorites. Steve is getting a bit tired of hearing it in the office, but it makes me smile. I'm particularly fond of the remix featuring Chance the Rapper. I think it has a Peter Gabriel feel, Steve says Phil Collins. Either way it's a great first dance song.
- ILYSB by Lany. With a chorus that says, "Oh, my heart hurts so good
I love you, babe, so bad, so bad" over and over and the line, "You need to know I'm hella obsessed with your face", not a bad choice. (If you hadn't noticed, I love a good love song!)
- Happy Accidents by Saint Motel makes me get all teary eyed, the kind of teary eyed where your nose starts to tingle and you just want to let one tear slip. It's the bridge that gets me every time, "If I never laid eyes on you, Would I feel something missing? If you never laid eyes on me, Would you know something's gone? But I don't think that I'll ever know, Let's just live in the afterglow"
- Forever Like That by Ben Rector. This song is a few years older, but totally danceable and adorable. Sometimes I make Steve dance with me in the office when we are taking a break from work. Side note, I am a very bad dancer. I've been told I dance like Drake AND I can't figure out how spin when Steve attempts it. Steve, on the other hand, is a wonderful dancer. I still like to dance, because even if you can't dance, like is too short to not dance.
- Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay. Ok, so yeah, it's overplayed, but I really like it! If you don't want to use it as your first dance song, I think it would make a really great entrance song too. Make your wedding party come into some Black Eyed Peas, and then change it up for your first time in public as a married couple.
- You & Me by The Dave Matthews Band. Let me confess, Dave and I go way back. Steve introduced me to his music when we were dating and I was instantly hooked. If I had one song to sum up Steve and I, this would be it. Yup, you just busted me adding another guilty pleasure. In over 100 weddings, we've only heard this one twice, so it's definitely not overplayed and we'll be really happy to hear it at your wedding.
- Misty by Johnny Mathis. Yup, this song is old, but it's the perfect slow dance song. It is also my parent's song and they've been married over 49 years. I'm pretty sure picking this song is good luck for any marriage. Your grandparents will be pretty happy when they hear it too.
- Perfect by Ed Sheeran. I know what you are thinking, "Jane, you just said no Ed Sheera this year". But hear me out this is a really good song, especially the version with Beyonce. And if this is your song and you want this as your first dance song, then dance to it! This is your wedding and you get to choose what you want! (And I not so secretly love Ed Sheeran because that guy knows how to write a good love song!)
So now that you have some of the best first dance songs to choose from, you also ought to choose some of the best DC photographers to capture it. Steve and I are ready to be a part of your big day. We truly have loved sharing this day with each couple so far, and we would love to photograph yours! Contact us through our contact tab at the top of this page and set up a time to meet us at our studio in Waldorf, MD. It's a great time to get to know you and hear about what first dance song you chose! We can't wait to hear from you.
Location: 39595 Weatherlea Farm Ln, Lovettsville, VA 20180.